Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Melanie Snyder-Dying in her own body

Authors note-This story is a different ending for the book I'm reading, The Host. It takes place in the future and souls come to the earth and are put into humans bodys'. This is supposed to kill the human host and then the souls live in their bodies, but Melanie, the host in this story, won't give up and is still living.

I tried to reach out to him, my love ,Jarrod, but I couldn't force my arms and legs to move. Wanda got much stronger after recovering from Kyle almost killing her. She was physically stronger and mentally stronger, yet I stayed weak. The fact seemed inpossible. After living with her in my body so long how could I just be slipping away? It was like Kyle almost did her a favor in the long run because she's much stronger now, or I'm just that much weaker. Lately I've been able to see and hear even less and my mind and memory seems to be fading away. Most of the time wanda can't hear me any more.

Wanda? Wanda?! Can you hear me? But there was no answer. I couldn't tell if she was ignoring me or if she really couldn't hear me. Had my voice really gotten so weak compaired to her head that I couldn't scream loud enough for her to hear me? None of this made any sense. She was in my body. How could I be dying now? After all that we'd been through? It couldn't be possible for me to start slowly dying now. Could it?

I have to try again and make a better effort this time. Waaaaanda? Please! Answer! I need to talk to you! Please I'm begging you. I screamed my messege into her head as loud as I could manage. I felt her presence now. She could hear me and she was listening. Melanie? You haven't said anything for a while and you sound upset. Are you alright? This seemed like a silly question for an alien who took over my body to ask me, but I answered any way. No. I don't think I can survive like this in my body. I mean not with you here anymore.... I've become very.. weak. The word was hard for me to say. I had to whisper the word and I wasn't even sure that she heard it, but judging by her lack of answer quickly I'm guessing that she had. There was an awkward silence that fallowed what I had said and finally she answered.

Am I doing this to you? Is there a way that I can.. Can.. Keep you.. Present? I paused for a while thinking this over, but there was no solution to the problem that I could think of. The dreadfull situation didn't seem to have any possible solutions at all. Although this is what she wanted all along I think she had gotten used to me and we came to a place where we're almost friends. It's a strange friendship, but still a friendship. I got back to thinking about her question. No. Unless you can think of a way.. There doesn't seem to be an answer to our problem.

There has to be something that we can do! We can't just give up. I thought about this, but I think that's exactly what I needed to do. I wasn't happy like this. I could just be put out of my misery. I finally answered with a sigh, I think I might have to. 
Melanie? 
What?
You're voice.. It sounds... her thoughts trailed off.
I could feel my voice getting more quiet and tired.
Wanda... I have to say goodbye. Tell Jamie and Jarred that I love them and that I will see them on the other side. I wish them well, but I have to go. Blackness somehow got even darker until I could feel even less than before. I looked around. As the darkness closed in around me it closed the space in between me and complete death.

5 comments:

  1. If anyone has any ideas on how I can do the quotes in this story, since they are talking inside of one persons head, leave a comment please! I'm probably going to edit how I have it right now, but I was waiting to see if anyone had any cool ideas, or if I should do what Mr. J. said I could do in class. Thank you!

    ~Delaney McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading that irony, and thoughts are supposed to be in italics if thats what you meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a really good job of turning a scene into somethig else and I really enjoyed reading this. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really cool. I could understand that they were talking in their head. It's cool that you took a fiction story and made it really ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a really good job with the ironic aspects of the story and played off of them well, making the end amazing. And the way you had the voices inside your head talking was easily recognizable in italics.

    ReplyDelete